Region of East Macedonia & Thrace
The Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace occupies the northeastern part of Greece. It borders with Turkey easterly, Bulgaria northern and with the Regional Unit of Serres westerly. Southwest is washed by the Aegean Sea and southeast by the Thracian Sea. It includes the Regional Unities: Drama, Kavala, Xanthi, Rodopi and Evros.
It has a total area of 14.157 thousand hectares and covers the 10.7% of the total area of the country.
Also includes two major islands of Thracian Sea, Thassos and Samothrace.
Crossroad of major sea and land routes by which, for thousands of years, are moving people and goods, ideas and habits to and from the four cardinal points: from the Black Sea and Asia to Western Europe and from North Europe and the Balkans to the Mediterranean and North Africa.
The traces of its history, that start from the Paleolithic season and arrive to our days, are everywhere: caves, rock paintings, forts, temples, theaters, citadels, mines, graves, tumuli, marble quarries, Christian monuments, monasteries and holy places , aqueducts, Islamic monuments, traditional villages, Megara, mansions, tobacco warehouses.
The Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace, during the ancient times, was covered by forests at the rate of about 80%, but today this percentage has limited to 55% per area. In its extent there are trackless forests, virgin nature, high mountains, rich flora and fauna, large rivers, lakes and lagoons and an endless coastline with clear blue waters and friendly beaches.
The region is a place of music, dance, feast and ritual. Dionysus and Orpheus never left from this earth. The reversals of nature (winter, spring, etc.) give an opportunity for reversals of another class: masquerading and walking over fires, and outspoken sprees, kidnappings and robberies, all in the context of ritual.
As a tribute to the Cypriot Struggle, the Municipality Abdera provided a place to the Association of Cypriot of Xanthi, which created the "Grove of the Missing." The creation of ...Read more
The Folklore Museum of Stavroupolis housed in the old building of Taxation Tobacco and founded from private initiative by Stavros Karampatzakis. Exhibits of the museum include traditional costumes, objects of ...Read more
A remarkable building in Doksato is the church of Saint Athanasius in the center of the village which was built in 1867, with the support and expense of all the ...Read more
In the center of Nevrokopi there is the church of Saint Demetrius, who was built in 1866 as witnessed by the Metropolitan of Nevrokopi, Nicodemus in 1901. Important historical events ...Read more
In the center of the village there is the church of the Prophet Elias which was built in 1841 by local builders with donations and contributions from residents. Archaeologists expect ...Read more
Shortly after the village of Makri, is the beach of Saint Paraskevi with its trademark the namesake’s chapel. The visitors can spend moments of relaxation and fun at the many ...Read more
For those who can’t leave the city, Rapsani is practically at the centre of it. A municipal beach, organised and awarded with the “blue flag” every year since 2009. There ...Read more
The village of Kotronia is located 15 km southwest of Soufli. In the village have been found evidence for the existence of life in the Iron Age, thus in this ...Read more
Prosotsani is the biggest town of the prefecture of Drama and is also the headquarters of the municipality. It has a population of 3.553 inhabitants (2011) and is located 15 ...Read more