Region of East Macedonia & Thrace
The Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace occupies the northeastern part of Greece. It borders with Turkey easterly, Bulgaria northern and with the Regional Unit of Serres westerly. Southwest is washed by the Aegean Sea and southeast by the Thracian Sea. It includes the Regional Unities: Drama, Kavala, Xanthi, Rodopi and Evros.
It has a total area of 14.157 thousand hectares and covers the 10.7% of the total area of the country.
Also includes two major islands of Thracian Sea, Thassos and Samothrace.
Crossroad of major sea and land routes by which, for thousands of years, are moving people and goods, ideas and habits to and from the four cardinal points: from the Black Sea and Asia to Western Europe and from North Europe and the Balkans to the Mediterranean and North Africa.
The traces of its history, that start from the Paleolithic season and arrive to our days, are everywhere: caves, rock paintings, forts, temples, theaters, citadels, mines, graves, tumuli, marble quarries, Christian monuments, monasteries and holy places , aqueducts, Islamic monuments, traditional villages, Megara, mansions, tobacco warehouses.
The Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace, during the ancient times, was covered by forests at the rate of about 80%, but today this percentage has limited to 55% per area. In its extent there are trackless forests, virgin nature, high mountains, rich flora and fauna, large rivers, lakes and lagoons and an endless coastline with clear blue waters and friendly beaches.
The region is a place of music, dance, feast and ritual. Dionysus and Orpheus never left from this earth. The reversals of nature (winter, spring, etc.) give an opportunity for reversals of another class: masquerading and walking over fires, and outspoken sprees, kidnappings and robberies, all in the context of ritual.
In the center of Komotini is located the newly remodeled municipal park of Agia Paraskevi with tall trees, fountains and beautiful flowers, where during the summer months operates as refreshment. ...Read more
Synthesis of mosaic 35m2 is placed in the step of Apostle Paul in the city of Kavala next to Church Agios Nikolaos, with tittle "The arrival of the Apostle Paul ...Read more
The Municipal Museum of Polygnotos Vagi works in Potamia of Thassos by August 1981 and is dedicated to the life and works of sculptor Polygnotos Vagi, who came from there. ...Read more
The monastery was built east of the village Kornofolia. The Monastery keeps a copy of the renowned image of Holy Mary of Athos, as well as relics of the foot ...Read more
In the cemetery of the village is saved the oldest post-Byzantine church of the Holy Metropolis of Drama, Saint Theodore. The temple dates back to 1815 as stated in the ...Read more
In the Administrative center of the old Muslim neighborhood of Drama - at the intersection of Alexander street, K. Palaiologos street and L. Lamprianidou street - we meet one of ...Read more
The bridge of Pomakochoria was built in 1952 by the artisan contractor Michael Kokkinidi. Is located at the edge of the chapel of Agios Georgios and Dimitrios. The bridge of ...Read more
The Sanative Springs are located in the mountainous region of Xanthi prefecture, just 42 km from the city of Xanthi. The geothermal field that exists in the region creates hot ...Read more
In the northeastern part of Greece, the Regional Unit Ebro is named after the river that originates in neighboring Bulgaria and forms the natural border between Greece and Turkey. This ...Read more
On the slopes of Menikio mountain at an altitude of 480m and 19 km away from Drama there is the village Kallithea which fully justifies its name, thanks to the ...Read more