The Byzantine Walls of Drama dating to the 10th century, although it can not be ruled earlier dating. Perimeter were about 850 meters. In 1206, after the destruction of the Bulgarian tsar Ioannitsis (Skylogiannis), reconstructed from the beginning by then governor of the castle, Latino Vonifatio Momferatiko. _x000D_
They had two gates and at least five towers. Parts of them are kept scattered in the historic city center. The northern wall, kept in relatively good condition, provide a clear picture of dimensions & of the masonry (Miaoulis Street). In the courtyard of the church of Archangels (SE corner of the walls) are visible traces of one of the two known stairwells. In tower on the north side of the walls, accessible from the address of 19th May Street, which is crumbling today, there was the town clock, where was removed from tower in 1945.
Entrance to Castle: Free access to most of the castle except some parts where restoration works are taking place.