Traveler's Guide

East Macedonia & Thrace

Old Temenos, Eski Mosque


The large mosque was founded, according to the testimony of the Ottoman traveler Evliyia Tselebi of 17th century, in 1608/9, while an inscription testifies repairs during the year 1677-1678. The monument is interesting from an architectural point of view, while the interior is simple. On the outside stands the impressive minaret with two balconies and inside the mihrab, where the recess in the wall is oriented towards Mecca, with its simple decor and simple wooden Minbari ie the pulpit where the Imam leads the prayer. It is interesting that although the building is later than the so-called "New Mosque", is named "Old" because it located in the "Old Quarter", the so-called "district of the Old Mosque-Atik Mosque."

  • Address
    No information available.
  • Contact Information
    No information available.
  • 04_11_BG
  • 04_11_EN
  • 04_11_GR