The Tekes Kioutouklou Baba is an Ottoman tomb, which is estimated to date back from the 15th to 16th century. The monument is located on the western shore of Vistonida Lake, northwest of Celino, in the prefecture of Xanthi in Thrace. It is located near the ancient Anastasioupolis - Peritheorio. In the Turkish-speaking area of the monument is known as the Kütüklü Baba Tekkesi while the Greek-speaking is known as Tekes. The name of Tekes, means dervish monastery and not a funerary monument Turbes which is incorrect. This is because before 1826 the area was dervish tekke, which was destroyed by the Sultan Mahmut II. The Sultan Mahmud at that time he campaigned to chase all colleges of Janissari whose members were associated with the Bektashi Order. According to one theory the Kioutouklou Baba was a Whirling Dervish, who served the irregular forces of the Ottoman Gazi General Evren and built this building during a military tour. Today the records of the buildings that were founded by Evrenos, have still been preserved. This Ottoman monument based on its architectural structure (octagonal) was probably built in the 15th or early 16th century. Today only the mausoleum (Tourbes) is preserved. It is an octagonal stone building with domed roof. Inside it there is the tomb of the hermit covered with green cloth. The visitor can admire the carved bektashism’s symbols such as the axe and kioulachi (bektashism matrix). Probably the monument had been built on the ruins of an earlier Christian church. The monument is now a religious space for the Muslims and the Christians residents; for the Muslims, the tomb (Tourbes) of Kioutouklou Baba, while the eastern part of the monument has been transformed into a makeshift church of St. George by Christians.
Service Unit: 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities