Imaret, is a big band of the last Ottoman period, a classic example of Islamic architecture, it located on the west side of the peninsula of Panagia (old city). It is one of the last builtings in the period and the only one survived almost intact. Its biggest part, was built between 1817-1821 by the founder of the last Egyptian dynasty, Mehmet Ali. For sentimental reasons, the vali of Egypt wanted to benefit his hometown with this religious, educational and charitable institution. It worked as a Muslim seminary - internship and "workhouse" for all the poor of the city regardless of their religion. Today it operates as a Hotel.
Service Unit: 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities