The aqueduct (Kamares) in Kavala is a Roman aqueduct, it consists of 60 arches of four different sizes and a maximum height of 52m. and it was reconstructed in 1550 by Suleiman the Magnificent. According to reports, the ultimate recipient of the aqueduct was the Castle. Initially, the water passed through clay pipes, which were placed inside the Byzantine wall, and reached to the base of the hill district of Holy Mary. The residents were supplied with water at this point, as it was technically not possible to further raise the water. This exact problem was resolved by the aqueduct of Suleiman, thanks to which the water reached to the highest point of the castle. Proof of the adequacy of the water was the placement of many fountains in the squares.
Service Unit: 12th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities _x000D_