The mosque is located in the boundaries of the district Mouchatzir (Asa Mahalle), on Doiranis street and consists of the mosque and the house of the Imam. The mosque is also called “Mouchatzir tzami”. This is a Muslim-refugee from Bulgaria- district, who fled in Xanthi during the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-1878 year. It is a quadrangular stone building of distances : 12*10m. The entrance is impressive and is decorated with baroque elements. The prayer room is rectangular and spacious and the mihrab is simple. The roof is flat and has simple decoration with geometric designs in the center which are similar but simplified to those of the old city of Xanthi mansions. The minaret is made of white marble and is architecturally independent of the rest of structure. The base is rectangular with few decorations, while the the cylindrical side is twenty-sided and the base is coated by a number of red bricks. Originally it was built as a “mestzit” and later it appears that it was turned into a mosque.
Service Unit: 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities
Phone: +30 2531022411